A radio interviewer asked me recently why the Bible was so significant for me. I responded by reminding him of the ‘Ten Wonders of the Bible’- only God could bring these things about.
This was first published for the Bible Society
- Its influence. Blackstone, the father of common law once said- “The Bible has always been regarded as part of the common law of England.’ And who could deny the influence of the Bible in literature- just read Bunyan, Dickens and Shakespeare.
- Its survival. It has survived through centuries of criticism and persecution.
- Its popular use. Forget ‘The Da Vinci Code’ or the latest self help book. The Bible will outsell these every year, and still be a best seller when they are forgotten.
- Its ability to predict the future. The Old Testament uniquely predicted the coming of the Messiah and calls us to be ready for his return.
- Its harmony. Though it’s a compilation of books written over a very long time, it has one central theme- the covenant dealing of a loving God with humankind.
- Its realism. The Bible for me addresses issues “warts and all’. Just read again about the meaninglessness of life without God, as stated in Ecclesiastes.
- Its revelation about God. Only in the Bible is God truly revealed- His compassion, mercy, justice and sovereignty.
- Its understanding of humanity. We are shown to be radically valuable, but radically imperfect.
- Its central character- Jesus. In Him our inner ache is unquestionably answered, through His glorification, death and resurrection.
- It’s God given. This is not a book of human ideals, but the very words of God. As the Bible is read, the Spirit moves.
Rev Dr Ross Clifford AM is the Principal of Morling College (NSW Baptist) and author of numerous books many of which focus on Christian Apologetics. He is a Vice President of the Baptist World Alliance, President of the Asian Baptist Association, an acclaimed international preacher and speaker, a columnist in many Christian publications, winner of many national and international awards and for many years the Sunday evening Sydney Radio 2CH host. Ross is married to Bev, father and grand father.