Looking at the $225 million+ that the opening weekend of the movie '50 Shades of Grey' brought in, we see that sin sells and unfortunately it seems that many Christians are buying into the lie. It saddens me to hear how many Christians are lining up to watch movies like 50 Shades of Grey thinking they are okay and even beneficial for us to go and watch.
The true reason this movie is appealing to us is that sin is appealing. Have you ever truly stopped and thought of how appealing it is? If it wasn't, we wouldn't be in the mess we are in today.
From the very beginning sin was enticing, delicious and looked satisfying, hence the forbidden fruit Adam and Eve both ate. (Please don't misunderstand me; sex within the context of marriage is not sin, in fact the creator of the universe created it.)
We don't want to admit that we struggle with sin just as much as Adam and Eve did. We have a form of godliness but deny its power and we like to think we are strong "Christians" that can simply watch a movie without it affecting us. Watching a movie all about sex between two people is not glorifying to God. The bible is very clear about sexual immorality, lust, perversion and abuse. 2 Timothy tells us to flee sexual immorality and yet Christians are being seduced by the lies of the world and justifying their actions with "Christian" pretences.
Some of the reasons I have heard why "Christians" want to watch this movie:
1. "It is just a movie" â What planet are you living on? Everything you read, see and hear has the potential to disciple you. "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks". Watching movies with sex scenes, abusive and unhealthy relationships is desensitizing us so much that we begin to think certain things are okay. Just look at the recent statistic that only 11% of Christians are waiting until marriage before having sex, while 61% think casual sex is okay. Why do 61% of single Christians think casual sex is okay? Are they reading their bibles or are they looking to the latest shows for their worldviews?
2. "It's just a little romance" â maybe you do like romance but this movie is not modelling a Godly relationship, but an abusive one. You want a real love story? Look at the love story God wrote for us by sending His son Jesus to redeem us through his death, no movie or story will ever compare to the love He has for us. Within the bible another great love story is that of the book of Hosea or what about the poetry in Song of Songs?
3. "But I need to be a witness, Jesus was" â You are right, Jesus was a witness. And I am pretty sure if He was on the earth today He wouldn't be lining up to buy His ticket to go see the movie with Mary and Martha. He would be walking amongst the women and men who are in the bondage of the sex trade, He would be talking to prostitutes and loving on them and telling them about His way. If you really want to be a witness, go down and hand out coffee to the sex workers, talk to them as people when all other people just see them as objects.
4. "It will help my marriage!" â Really!! Are you kidding me? How is a movie about a two individuals who are dating (so therefore not committed to each other) written by a non-believer going to help you in your marriage? This is not marriage counselling, this is "mommy porn." If you and your spouse are having issues go seek godly counsel from mature friends, family, a godly counsellor or one of many different Christian ministries available. Go home serve your spouse, work on improving yourself not them, read together, pray together, have passionate sex together.
5. "It is going to spice up our love life" â If you think watching a movie of two people having sex will make you horny and want sex, you're probably right. If you want to spice up your relationship go for it. But don't bring in movies, books and extras things that are not glorifying God. The bible tells us that everything is "permissible but not everything is beneficial." So, rather than turning to the world for advice on spicing up our sex life, shouldn't we turn to the author of sex? God made SEX!! God wants married couples to have sex, to enjoy the fruits of marriage, to enjoy each other, to be adventurous, loving and honoring. He wants us to have fulfilled sex lives.
6. "I am still going to heaven if I watch this movie" â Yes, I am sure salvation is not based off this movie or any movie for that matter. But if all you are concerned with is whether you going to heaven I am pretty sure you have missed the whole point of being a disciple of Christ. The Christian faith isn't just about going to heaven but rather allowing Jesus to transform us daily. It isn't just about salvation but also transformation. Yes, we stumble and fall on a daily basis but that is why we need His grace.
Maybe you have no plans to watch this movie or read the book, maybe you've never heard of it, but are there other areas in your life you have created 'Christian' excuses for sinful behaviour? Are you tolerating sin? Are you justifying sin?
Whatever we do or say, let us evaluate it according Philippians chapter 4, verse 8, "finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things".
Genevieve Wilson is a happily married stay at home, home-schooling mum of 3, whose passion is to see people come to know Jesus. She worked 8 years as a missionary with Youth with a Mission(YWAM). She has a heart for justice and to see the abolition of the modern day slave trade.
Genevieve Wilson's previous articles may be viewed at http://www.pressserviceinternational.org/genevieve-wilson.html